Thursday, June 11, 2020

Labels

I've considered for years about whether I should permanently "label" my rugs.

So far I haven't, for many reasons.


What kind of label?
Cost and where to source?
Do I want to brand my rugs and present the 'name' rather than the product?

I'm not a 'brand buyer' in real life.

I really don't care what the name is on a product if I like it, it works, and the value is there.

I also think that mislabeling can happen.  The label doesn't fit the product, either from the design points, or from the perception from the receiver end.

So the other day, I made a comment on a facebook post.  I don't normally do that - more of a comment stalker/reader here :)

It was one of those supposed to be cute posts that involved animals - this one was a 'cute' puppy antagonizing a deer fawn.  

Many of the comments were on the line of 'oh how cute', 'I wish people could get along as well as animals', 'made my day' sort of thing.

From my experience - and education- of 'reading' animal behavior,  this was no love fest happening.

It was also illegal if a game warden wanted to follow the letter of the law.

My short post pointing out the distress signals in the video to try and educate - 'liked' by many in a short time by the way - was promptly deleted by the original poster, as well as all others comments of the same persuasion.

And then the LABEL  part of my story ....

The original poster then edited her post to say she had deleted and blocked all the 'ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS'  that were making negative comments!


I'm sorry, but I am SO NOT  an animal rights activist - LOL

I help raise animals for food.  I hunt. I have pets.  I even believe outlawing horse slaughter in the US was a bad thing to do, and I love and own horses!

What I can get behind is treating animals of all persuasion with dignity and care for the duration of their lives. And I don't do personification.

And at the risk of offending someone in this offense taking world we live in now....   I don't label my friends black, white, red, or purple.  They are my FRIENDS!  I don't see them as a color...

So the point about labels I'm making is:

How someone perceives me is ON THEM.   If you don't care to engage and be open to information outside of your own knowledge and experience, it doesn't really matter what you think of me. 

That poster is always saying she wishes everyone would be open to each other and respect each other for their own views.   Well, it appears to me she should look in the mirror and remind herself of that very same thing.

All for now,
JULIE

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Something different from you – and I like it!

Hilary said...

Well.....not sure I agree with all of your post, but I absolutely agree that we all need to be open and respectful.
As to labeling your rugs.......you could do the same thing with a homemade tag.......people will buy more from you if they know who you are.....down the road...someone will see your tag, and look you up for another rug. Branding is a very important part of retaiing...and while I am not a "brand" person either....if you are trying to make a living....it's important to get your name out there....not in a competitive sort of way, just in a promotional sort of way.