Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Fall...

 

Well, I survived a new to me craft venue.

As you can see I had plenty of inventory -  Nearly 200 rugs, 100 table runners and a basket full of mug rugs.

This is the priciest vendor event I've done so far.  Application fee, booth fee, parking.  It was /is a risk to lay out such a large chunk of cash in the hopes to sell enough to make it worth it.

Challenges were the 'pandemic fear' and weather.  

As you can see by the pavement, it was, shall we say, damp?  

Surprisingly tho, there seemed to be a decent crowd.  I won't say I was happy with the amount of sales - my fees for the day ate up a bit more than 30% of my sales.  That doesn't include gasoline, food, administrative/office type expenses.   Or labor.  I aim for the booth fees to be 10% of my sales, so this definately was underperformance in my eyes. 

Not so bad that I won't try again next year.  

Interesting note tho... when I was loading product, I had a handful of rugs I was considering leaving at home - they have been riding around with me for literally years.  But, I Sold 2 of them....  Need to stop worrying about what not to take and just take it all!

My main loom is currently naked, I had finished up the blue denim warp.  I have a nice group of those now going into the fall show run ( if there ends up being one) .


 These are the piles of standard sizes - fringed and hemmed.

I also have some longer ones and just a couple colored denim done on this warp.

Change of subject -  I found some plums on the old trees behind the house.  Just enough to make one batch of plum jelly.


I can't wait to try it, but I am forcing myself to finish the open jar of crab apple jelly that is in the fridge first.  Jelly making is a challenge here.  Most of my equipment is still packed away - that I had kept when I moved.  I had sold most of my jars and canners figuring that from the good price I got when I sold, I could replace with new when I was ready and had the time and space to store it.

Its a good thing I don't need to do much of that right now...  There seems to be a shortage of lids and even jars in our area.  Is this true around the country?  Marketplace on facebook is seeing people selling used jars for almost new prices, and even people selling open boxes of the lids. 

I need to wrap this up - so many things that need to be done - it's fall and we can feel the winter coming.

 

All for now,

JULIE


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yes, it seems to be a phenomenon across the country that canning goods are sold out. Fortunately, I stockpiled lids (have everything else on hand to reuse year to year) at the end of last season, as I usually do. There won't be any to nab this fall!