Wednesday, January 15, 2020

New to me loom

Sometime during this last year -- springtime?  A new friend gave me a loom.

It had been her mothers!  I wove her a rug in exchange :)

This will be a fun little loom to use - if I can get used to it!


It's a Sears and Roebuck  'fairloom'

From what I can tell, these were made by Newcomb Looms.  And yes, it sure looks like it to me.  I used to have a Newcomb Studio Loom and this is just like it, except this one is a simple 2 harness.

The other afternoon I decided to see if I could figure it out.  I have been getting requests for mug rugs, so I decided to do a quick run of those to try things out.  I don't own a tension box - a spool rack came with tho.   I had to get creative to use my warping comb from the union. I got it done, but I'm thinking of a different way on my next warp.  I believe this will be my tablerunner loom.   Max weaving width is about 27 inches.

The breast beam is tall compared to my unions.  And the treadles aren't on the floor, so I may need to figure  out a bench...   We'll see how we get along in time.

Weather here is typical winter. Cold. Cold. Cold.   :)   It's negative 6 F right now with a stiff breeze.  Last night we got 5-6 inches of fluffy new snow, so it's rearranging itself.  Supposed to get more this weekend with wind - blizzard style it sounds like.   Someone said the other day we are already over 40 inches of the white stuff this winter.

The older I get, the less I handle winter with grace and good humor............   LOL

All for now,
JULIE


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I don't know "loom-speak" but 'tis somewhat fascinating all the same. I much prefer our weather, although this wind and rain is not a good combination with a leaky roof....