Sunday, December 6, 2020

Frugal

 I've always been quite frugal. 

I'm not one to spend my hard earned $ frivolously.  Everything I bring home is needed and or justified to the nth degree in my mind.

It's a hard way to live.  I've been told my money style is based in fear.  Maybe so.

I'm not afraid to spend money on quality tho.  I prefer in purses quality over quantity.  I have one purse.  It's leather, and I think I've had it 6-7 years.  It took me awhile to find the one I wanted, but once I found the right one, it was easy to let the cash go :)

This rug thing of mine fits well into my personality -  I don't like to spend alot on materials - pretty much everything I make is from salvaged stuff.  Or at least the main part of it.

I just finished up another batch of rugs.

The weft for these rugs are from mens dress pants.  Khaki / twill types.  Had a good pile of those - there are still more coming from this batch.

This is any interesting rug.  Somewhere along the way I had collected 3 alike tableclothes.  But they were odd material.  Very fluffy and soft - not your normal tablecloth fabric.  This will be a decor type rug - not the kind for the back door on a farm.  LOL


This was a plaid flannel bed sheet.  Love flannel sheets for rugs....

And this was from a set of lined drapes - The kind with the rubbery type of lining.  These drapes can be iffy.  I always wash the drapes before I work with them.  Sometimes they don't survive the wash - but these washed great.  This will be a very sturdy durable rug for someone.

Another thing I'm not afraid to spend money on is shoes.  Shoes must fit - I'm all about comfort.  I like certain styles - but won't sacrifice the comfort part.  Its few and far apart when I find footwear that fits correctly.   I got lucky the other day and found a pair of boots at the thrift store for 5.99.  Love them!  LOL.  I get excited over the smallest things.

And yesterday I brought home a large find.

A long time friend of mine called asking me if I was interested in a quilting machine.  Turns out the type is different than what I'd like, but when I found out the price...  and thought about how I might use it other than quilting..... I went and got it.   How much?    FREE   We are thinking it will work to hem my rugs, or fix horse blankets, or sew lightweight leather projects.  It's a heavy duty 'furniture' machine that came out of quilt factory.  It's in the back of my pickup at the moment.  We need to figure out where to put it!

Oh, and we just got a Christmas tree for the living room.  I have a smaller one, and Leah didn't have one.  We were going to make do with the small one because of the $.  But I found one for free on fb marketplace!  Winning!  LOL

My lord, we sound trashy!   

All for now,

JULIE




2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's just my style of money management, too! I always want something held back in savings for a rainy day, even if it's not a lot. Certain things are required – comfortable shoes, quality socks, jeans that fit, horse bits, ONE good purse – that I will pay full price for but always look for deals first, and often find them (yay, eBay!).

re'New said...

Jeans... I haven't bought a new pair in forever. Within the bags of donated jeans, I find ones that fit that have a little life left :)