Friday, October 26, 2018

Always challenges

Last week Thursday was a traumatic day. 

For one of my mares, and for me, too.

I found her out in pasture with a fence wire wrapped tightly around one hind leg.  She was hurting and needed my help.  Those kind of situations make you get an awful feeling in the pit of your stomach.

The challenge right then was to get her help.  To do that, I would need to get a trailer deep into a rough pasture, load her, and get to a vet - by the time I would get that done, it would be after hours.

First I had to unload household goods from my horse trailer ( my dad's trailer was nowhere to be found - neighbor borrowed it I guess)

Then drive it out to her in a rough, hilly, gully, stone strewn pasture.

The hardest part was getting her into a trailer while she was on three legs and hurting.

But we got it done...
This is at the vet's waiting to wake up enough to trailer back home.  We had to sedate, do a nerve block on the leg, remove wire, clean, medicate and wrap.  A little over 2 hours at the vet clinic.


I could post some graphic photos, but I won't.  She is doing better, she will put some weight on the leg while she moves about, but we are looking at 6-8 weeks of every other day dressing changes.  Good thing she is a sweetheart and lets me do it, even tho I can tell she is uncomfortable during the process.

Otherwise, I have been feeling like doing stuff - my stuff...

The challenge is finding something of 'mine' that I can get to with tools and a space.


I've been systematically working on large garbage bags full of pants that I recently got from a large church rummage sale.  They let me take as much of this as I wanted - for free.  This is my 3rd bag -- mostly white and colored denims and twills.

Here are the "boned out" legs of twill pants in colors from very light khaki all the way thru green, brown, blue and black.  Once I'm thru all the bags, I will sort these into batches and try to figure out a plan :) Yup, my bed is my workspace.

The weather has moderated and is feeling like fall again here in NE South Dakota.  I'm glad, winter can get pretty long here even when it doesn't start in early October!

All for now, 
JULIE



No comments: