Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Maybe a little bit of Fall

Finally today it feels like my favorite season --- Fall!

It was somewhere in the mid 60's, not much wind and sunny~  Oh for a longer fall season :)


This was a bumper crop year for apples around here.  We have trees that have been sorely neglected for about 30 years.   One looks like it's about to die - has for a few years.  This year it threw out a small crop of apples for the first time in a couple seasons.

The tubs are the ones that came off the tree without hitting the ground first.  The bags and small bucket were ones that fell and we picked up from the ground.  Many are left yet that will get thrown out to the cows.  They love them :)

 Here's the tree we are working on now,  Many apples left that we can't reach.

Here's the backside of the tree.  Poor thing was so heavy with apples it was breaking limbs. Plus the heavy snow last week added to the stress.  We cut a big limb out of the middle, and lost another on the way down.  There are still smaller ones that I can't reach but those will wait.

 Here's the next tree we will try to get to.  My parents didn't even know it was there until I found it fall of 2016.  No lie, it's at least 30 feet tall! 

See, lots and lots of apples.  It's just gonna be almost impossible to get these picked.  We can't drive a vehicle into this area because of wet ground, and we stand downhill, also.  I'm not sure if it's even possible to prune a tree this so far gone!  Anyone know?  If I start cutting, I may kill it.

My dad tells me there is another tree over by the south pasture, but I haven't gone and checked it out.

Not sure I wanna deal with that many apples :)   Not sure what to make next.   I've done pies that are in the freezer, apple sauce, pie filling, apple butter, apple crisp, apple bars, apple bread, etc, etc, etc.  :)  Plus we give away bags to anyone that drives up to the house --- not yet sneaking them into cars, but that may happen, haha.

And to top it all off, I picked some crab apples and made jelly --- that's my fave.

All for now, JULIE

No comments: