Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Textile Photography Struggle

I've been exposed enough to photography and what makes a good photo through the 4-H program.  I can tell a good one from a poor one.

I think I do alright, but it's not a passion for me, like it is for my daughter...

I really struggle with photos of my textile based rugs.  I can never seem to get the look that I see in real life.

Could be that I'm never real satisfied as I am in the real world a "toucher".   I hate buying thru catalogs or online.  I NEED to touch and feel!

The latest finished rugs are challenging me.  They are exciting to me in real life and I've been taking pictures, but I haven't been happy with them so far. 

Could be the harsh winter lighting?

I tried different floors in the house.  Open curtains, closed curtains.  Lights on, lights off.

Finally decided this is the best location.  Just no flat area to take a normal picture :)

This rug is made from twill/khaki pants.  This grouping is from the darker end of the spectrum of the pants that I had sourced.  I included greens and browns and green based tans.  I REALLY like these :)

This photo shows the colors the closest to true life. 

I have two fringed rugs of this, and 3 hemmed ones. 

Another rug that was difficult to shoot is this one of a kind.


This is a lighter weight rug made from bedsheets.   Kind of a greige color with stripes of green/tan - I think the warp pattern really helps this rug.

There is another pair that was done weaving, but as I was taking them off the loom, I realized one of them I had failed to put in fringe spacer... That one gets to be rewoven today.

Guess my mind was on other things while it should have been paying better attention.

Some days I struggle :)

All for now,
JULIE



1 comment:

Hilary said...

Love the rugs......I usually avoid direct sunlight........actually take stuff outside........and find spot where the light is just right.