Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hang on

  "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."


A large part of a rug is the end.  You have to figure out a way to finish the ends.  Most of my rugs get a fringed end, and to do that I get to tie a bunch of knots.

Here is a step by step of the process.










My trusty tool is a latch hook.  












Each knot uses 8 pieces of warp, or ends.  The far left and right ends are "traded" with the ends of the neighboring group of eight.  This step helps secure all of the knots together into a continuous line.










I take a turn around my left pointer finger, 










stick the hook under and grab the tails of the warp.










Pull the strings thru and snug the knot down










and you have your finished knot!

Repeat 39 times on each end of the rug and you're finished!

Always be prepared to tie that knot at the end of your rope ~  and hang on!

No comments: