Monday, July 5, 2010

Recycling squared...

What to do with a rag rug that is getting raggy?

I think the warp strings on this rug got caught on some nails that were exposed in the midst of this big old remodel I've got going on.

Actually, this rug is a redo a couple of times over!

First time ~ over a decade ago, I made strips and sent them away to be woven...  no loom of my own at that point ...   I kept two rugs for myself to use.  Unfortunately, these rugs weren't very tight and when they bit the dust, I didn't want to throw away all that work I did on the strips.

I figured, why not use them over again?  The rugs weren't very large, and I had a large area to cover, so I decided to make them into one rug.  I took them apart and wove them into new warp.  I loved it!

Happily used the rug until... a new puppy decided it was tasty and ate a hole out of the middle.

Back it went to the loom again!  That rug lasted a bit longer.  Until this last winter when it met it's fate.

Now it has been re'Newed again!


New life for an old rug.  Can't get any better than that!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Ooh - gorgeous rug. You've almost convinced me to try fringe - almost.