Monday, September 26, 2011

Bit by bit

Bit by bit I am making progress. 

I just have to keep reminding myself of that when I get discouraged!

Here's how far I've gotten with the new loom...

Man o man was this loom taken apart!  Way more dismantled than it would have needed to be.

But then some things that probably should have been removed weren't...

Obviously the previous owners were inexperienced :)

Got myself a Newcomb!  It's a 4 harness, but #3 & 4 have never been installed.

This is a big girl.  Bigger footprint than my union.  Wider weaving width, too.  I've got the basics under control, but may need to do some more research when it's time to put on the harnesses and the ratchet to tighten up / advance the weaving.  It's not obvious yet to me how it all goes together.  Maybe as I get farther into it, it will be more clear.  I do have a book with it, but the pictures aren't the same as the loom.  Typical.

Reason this is as far as I've gotten?

I'm still trying to finish up outside projects before snow flies.

Got started on this tonite.

I'm putting up some split rail...  it's pretty easy, the posts aren't that long so not very deep holes to dig.  Problem is I'm doing it all manual.  A shovel and a twisty post hole digger with only one handle.  It's what I've got!


Here's the line up of parts for this section of the fence.  Too bad I've got two more sections after this to do.  I'm gonna have to pick up the pace - will need to dig more than 3 holes a night to get done in time!

Unfortunately work is taking up alot of my time.  We are now in Mandatory Overtime.  I've averaged about 55 hours a week since I started back in March.  Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Hey! Good news.  I think.

I am in the process of becoming a permanent employee.  Problem is I have to go to night shift to do it.  :(

Not looking forward to that - I'm a morning person.


All for now~ JULIE








1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wow - that's some loom, and I cannot imagine the footprint if it's greater than a union. You house must have tons of space somewhere. I'm jealous. Hope the job resolves itself.