Sunday, July 29, 2012

Perfectionist?

An example of some of the blocks I'm piecing.  It's a scrappy quilt~ I'm using all bits and pieces from my small stash that consists of two totes jammed full.


 See? Most of the points are pretty darn close.  I would love it if every one was perfect.

But really, who cares?

This one I missed quite obviously.

But you know what?  I'm not gonna rip it out, I'm gonna use it in the quilt! 

I've always said I'm an 'immediate gratification girl'.   I like to get to the finish when I'm doing projects. 

I care that it's done well, I just don't get all obsessed if there is a little "human-ness" showing!

In the past, I've been accused of being a perfectionist... 

The topic came up again recently, so I did a little research.  

 

Here's what I found...


All-Or-Nothing Thinking:

Perfectionists, like high achievers, tend to set high goals and work hard toward them. However, a high achiever can be satisfied with doing a great job and achieving excellence (or something close), even if their very high goals aren’t completely met.

Critical Eye:

Perfectionists are far more critical of themselves and of others than are high achievers. While high achievers take pride in their accomplishments and tend to be supportive of others, perfectionists tend to spot tiny mistakes and imperfections in their work and in themselves, as well as in others and their work.


Unrealistic Standards:

Unfortunately, a perfectionist’s goals aren’t always even reasonable. While high achievers can set their goals high, perhaps enjoying the fun of going a little further once goals are reached, perfectionists often set their initial goals out of reach.

Focus on Results:

High achievers can enjoy the process of chasing a goal as much or more than the actual reaching of the goal itself. Conversely, perfectionists see the goal and nothing else. They’re so concerned about meeting the goal and avoiding the dreaded failure that they can’t enjoy the process of growing and striving.

Fear of Failure:

Perfectionists are also much more afraid to fail than are high achievers. Because they place so much stock in results and become so disappointed by anything less than perfection, failure becomes a very scary prospect.

Defensiveness:

Because a less-than-perfect performance is so painful and scary to perfectionists, they tend to take constructive criticism defensively, while high achievers can see criticism as valuable information to help their future performance.

Low Self Esteem:

High achievers tend to have equally high esteem; not so with perfectionists. They tend to be very self-critical and unhappy, and suffer from low self-esteem. They can also be lonely or isolated, as their critical nature and rigidity can push others away as well. This can lead to lower self-esteem.



So here's the proof that I'm not a perfectionist!  I'm merely a high achiever!  :P   LOL

All for now,

JULIE 

1 comment:

Countryside Reflections said...

Your blocks look beautiful just as they are. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole quilt when it's done.

Doreen