Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Ready to Roll

It's taken a couple days to get both looms ready to roll.

I tackled the tablerunner warp first and have been weaving runners during breaks from threading the wide blue warp.  The back demands the short threading times as there is no real good ergonomic way to thread these dang Union looms :)

Here's one of the tablerunners that is in progress.

I like that the warp threads are the focus on this runner - The solid fabric color is a base, instead of the main design feature.   It's amazing the differences in each runner on the same warp threads!

Last night I finished up threading the 36 inch wide blue warp.  I went ahead and tied on and wove a quick waste weft to get the threads spread out - so now it's ready when I am to start on a 3 x 5 or longer rug.

Here it is.  Can't wait to see what it looks like on denim.  I paired two warp ends of the same color next to each other - one up and one down of each.   I think it will create a subtle stripe of each color in the rug - but we will see!

I tried something new with this wide rug - Only one time previously have I woven the full width of this loom and I wasn't a fan.  There are 19 sections on this loom - I filled them all, but it was difficult to maneuver next to the outside edges - it was a tight fit.  I wanted 36 wide so I needed 18 sections.  This still put me up next to one edge and off center on the loom.  So... I tried this.

See the green thingies on the ends? Only half of a section was put on each outside space - now it's centered and there is room on either side to maneuver.  I used a pool noodle cut down and taped on to divide the outside sections to try to keep the warp consistant with the balance of the sections.  It didn't take up quite half of the space, so it's not perfect, so I'm not sure how the tension will be as I go.  It's an experiment!

I'll roll with whatever comes!

All for now,
JULIE



No comments: