Thursday, June 24, 2010

Custom work?

I rarely do custom work... why?

1.  My creations are based on "found" materials.  So it is totally random what I will find as far as colors and textures to use.  I can't count on having available what the customer wants.

2.  When people ask for a certain color, it is inevitably the color that just came off my loom and it will be months before I get back to that color. 

3.  I'm not the best at working within limits  :)

So this is one of the rare times I did something specific for a customer.
This customer had seen a rug made from the same material I had in my inventory and did not purchase it then.  He waited and by then I had sold it.

On this rare occasion, I actually had more of the upholstery material left from that rug.   He then ordered 2 rugs -  and insisted I put it on the blue warp I had on my loom.


I would not have put this material on this warp.

I would have used it on a green or brown toned warp.

But he's the customer....

So I start weaving....  remember how I'm not good at the limits thing?  He had ordered specific sizes - I forgot to measure from the start on one rug, so I measured part way thru and hoped for the best.  Second rug I was on the ball and kept track.

Rugs came off the loom, tied them up, and measured them.  Sigh... One of them was 5 inches too short...  Fortunately, I still had more of this material  (an unusual situation ), so I got to weave another one on this warp. 

I'm hoping this guy will come in and love his rugs so much, he'll decide to take the short one that I screwed up on.  If not, I will have a rug in my inventory that is not my usual style.  I'm sure it will sell, I sell rugs that don't appeal to me all the time. 



My solution to the custom work?  I've got myself a "wish book" that I note requested rugs in.  Sizes, colors, etc and who would like a rug like that are noted in this book.  As I'm weaving, if I have one that fits the description, I notify the 'wisher' and they get first dibs on that rug.

It also helps me to keep an eye open for the colors I need.  Keeps me collecting colors I wouldn't normally bring home!

I've been told I need to learn to work within limits. 

I don't think so... I will not limit myself!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm trying to figure out how you tie your fringe. The fringed rug that we had on the floor and that hangs on my studio wall is missing about a third of its fringe - just worn off by feet. I'm warping for another runner and am thinking that fringe is risky business. The hanging rug had wool fringe. I wonder if cotton wears better. Hmmmm.