Friday, February 19, 2021

In the deep freeze

 I have to admit, up until the last week or so, we've had a mild for South Dakota winter.

Mild went away ---  It's been regularly close to 20 below zero (F)  for the last few weeks - thank goodness not alot of wind by South Dakota standards.

It's cold enough that locally there have been deaths... 

Mostly for dumb reasons -  my co workers nephew - teenager or young adult - froze to death last weekend.   Partied with the wrong people, who beat him up and left him on the side of the road.  

That happens all too often around here. 

People make excuses for this sort of thing -  poor job opportunities, racism, that type of thing.


In this small town - there are so many businesses looking for employees.  

No, they may not be work from home, or desk type jobs, but they are jobs.  That pay the bills and give you a stepping stone for a better one when you have learned new skills and how to be a valuable employee.

 

And then there is the other side of the equation.  Those that are willing to work tend to be overworked.  I've already upped my hours at my part time job.... And they are asking if I can cover some more - since no one wants to apply and be a good employee.


There is opportunity to be a contributing member of society!

Too much 'taking care of' has trained a large majority of the local population to be dependent.   

Too much giving them fish instead of teaching them to fish type of thing.

I have to purposefully remind myself to not think about it -  it is just so frustrating.

Change of subject --- I have been weaving, although slower than I'd like.  More work hours means tired feet -  less likely to stand and weave in the evenings.  Plus it gets chilly in the loom room when it is so cold outside the wall of windows.  I've covered them with plastic and keep the heavy drapes closed, but you can feel the cold coming in....

Here are pics of the two latest.  These were produced to try to fit a request/commission.   We'll see if either is what they were thinking ;)



All for now,

JULIE


No comments: